The MGA (Malta Gaming Authority) is based in a small nation within the European Union and it has the esteemed privilege of being included on the whitelist of the UK Gambling Commission. This means that other than being respected by the organization, any MGA casinos are also able to advertise their services within the United Kingdom. As one of the most popular markets in the industry, this is something that many casinos strive for, although not all are able to obtain it.
To be able to obtain a license from this body, MGA casinos will need to be operating from within Malta, physically, and this is somewhat different to many licensing bodies.
The online casino world can often be hard to navigate, with so many gaming sites to pick from and different licensing authorities allowing them to provide services. In this article, we look at MGA casinos in 2022 and see what they provide for players, and which sites are the best choice to play at.
Malta is a small group of islands located in Europe. They are situated below Italy in the Mediterranean sea. With a population of 500,000, this nation is home to many businesses in the online gambling sector.
What Are MGA Casinos?
MGA stands for Malta Gaming Authority. This is the government body that regulates gambling in Malta and issues sites with licenses. It was formerly known as the Lotteries and Gaming Authority (LGA). In 2022, MGA Casinos are some of the most respected in the industry, with many European casino sites acquiring licenses in this region.
The Malta Gaming Authority regulates all forms of gambling within the country, including bingo, land-based casinos, slot machines, lottery, and sports betting. The MGA was established in 2001 to oversee all gambling-related activities under its authority. Their aim is to prevent crime and money laundering, offer player protection, and ensure casinos offer fair games to customers.
Malta Gaming Authority casinos offer their services to many countries around the world and have enjoyed being regulated by one of the oldest licensing bodies in the online casino sector. Players can enjoy a smooth gambling experience, with the world’s top game providers supplying the titles at MGA Casinos.
Getting paid from these sites is easy, with various payment methods to use, including Credit Cards, CryptoCurrency like BTC and ETH, eWallets like MuchBetter, Neteller, and Skrill, International Bank Transfers and other convenient options.
These days, it’s easy to tell if a site is a licensed MGA casino. At the footer of the website, the operator must display the gaming license details. An example is Slots Million Casino, which has the MGA license no. MGA/B2C/256/2013. For extra verification that the site is indeed regulated in Malta, the MGA has a register to search. This can be done at https://www.mga.org.mt/mgalicenseeregister/.
What Type Of Gambling Licenses Does The MGA Issue?
Malta Gaming Authority casinos and providers can operate on several types of licenses. We’ve listed the main types below. B2C licenses are for casino sites that offer services to players, while B2B licenses are issued to businesses that provide games, software and services to online casino companies.
- Gambling Service License – B2C license to provide gambling services
- Gambling Supply License – B2B license to provide gaming supply & management of software
- Gambling Supply License – B2B license to provide gaming supply & management of games
When it comes to MGA B2C licenses, there are several types that casino sites can receive. Each one is aimed at different categories of casino games/gambling events.
- Type 1 is for games of chance, including games with RNG systems like Blackjack, Online Slots, Roulette, and Virtual Sports.
- Type 2 B2C licenses are for businesses that offer gambling on real-world events like Sports Betting.
- Type 3 B2C license allows businesses to provide gambling services where the income is generated through commission. This is typically player vs player games like Poker.
- Type 4 B2C license allows websites to provide controlled skilled events like Fantasy Sports.
Benefits For Players
For players at MGA casinos, there are key benefits that let players enjoy the top casino games while remaining safe and protected. We’ve listed some of the top reasons players visit these casinos and play for real money in 2022.
- Fair Games: The MGA ensures the integrity of all games offered by the casino. This means sites regulated in Malta provide fair casino games for their customers. This gives all gamers the same chance to win money online. Fairness testing is done via regular audits from independent testing agencies like eCogra.
- Player Support: One of the main benefits of playing at MGA casinos is the added support for players. Customers who feel the casino has made a wrong decision, or are having trouble with an operator, can submit a complaint to the MGA Player Support Unit. According to regulations, MGA casinos should make this information easily available.
- Protection of Funds: At Malta Gaming Authority casinos, all banking is done via secure payment methods. On top of this, thanks to the Gaming Player Protection Regulations, customers’ funds are kept separate from the casino site, ensuring the protection of player account balances.
- Data Protection: Because Malta is part of the European Union, it must adhere to EU standards in terms of data protection and player privacy. Casinos regulated in Malta must follow EU General Data Protection Regulations and ensure customers’ information is secure and stored correctly.
- Easy To Find Game Rules: Under Maltese gambling law, casinos should make the game rules and information easily available, and no further than one click away from the homepage. This makes it easy for new players to understand what’s required to win playing the casino game.
Which Casino Software Companies Are Licensed In Malta?
There are many famous casino software providers licensed in Malta. The Malta Gaming Authority regulates some of the leading iGaming B2B service providers. Gamers will recognize some of the brands we’ve listed below. These providers offer huge collections of fair casino games to play, including online slots, table games, live casinos, and sports betting options.
Game & Software Providers Licensed By MGA
1×2 Gaming, Booming Games, Digitain, Evolution Gaming, NetEnt, EveryMatrix, SoftSwiss, SoftGamings, Aspire Global, iSoftBet, EvenBet Gaming, Delasport, Pragmatic Play, Playtech, NoLimit City, Parimatch, Swintt, BetConstruct, Fugaso, Oryx Gaming, IGT, Elk Studios, Endorphina, Yggdrasil Gaming, Red Tiger Gaming, Microgaming, Gammix Limited, Hacksaw Gaming, Kalamba Games, Quickspin, Relax Gaming, Spade Gaming, Thunderkick, Wazdan.
Submitting a Complaint
Any player who finds that they have been unfairly treated by a casino that is associated with the Malta Gaming Authority can turn to this governing body in order to have the conflict resolved. This is done, firstly, by contacting the organization through their contact form. The LGA will then mediate and ensure that the casino has been operating appropriately. In the event that this is not the case, the Malta Gaming Authority can take a lawful approach to resolve the issue.
MGA casinos need to ensure that players are protected to some degree by offering them self-limitations, self-exclusion and ensuring that their data is suitably protected. What sets this organization apart is the fact that it has been known to actually take action against casinos under its banner when they have not been operating in the way that they should be. In more than one instance, a casino has had its license removed because of the manner in which it was treating its players.
Applying for an MGA License
The Lotteries and Gaming Authority is currently offering casinos four classes of license and each has a lifespan of five years because it has to be renewed. MGA casinos will also need to adhere to strict requirements before they have the ability to apply for a license, including offering certain services to the players registered with their establishments.
Some of the regulations that need to be adhered to apply to areas such as customer support, fraud prevention, payment solutions, and risk management, as well as a variety of additional requirements. The strict nature of these requirements means that only quality casinos will usually be able to get their hands on a license and this goes a long way in helping players to decide which establishments they would like to associate themselves with.
When it comes to associating with casinos under the banner of the Malta Gaming Authority, players will be happy to know that they can expect a high level of protection from the licensor, and this makes it all the more appealing. Here is a list of the best MGA casinos in the market.
It’s easy to see why MGA casinos are popular around the world. Malta has proved to be one of the leaders in iGaming, offering player protection and holding operators accountable. Casino players in 2022 can enjoy the best casino games like jackpots, live dealers, and online slots at any of the top 10 best MGA casinos we’ve reviewed.
Best MGA Casinos
We’ve listed the 10 best MGA casinos to play at in 2022. The Malta Gaming Authority regulates & licenses these gaming sites. You can read our casino reviews for more information on the top bonuses, payment methods, and software providers each site offers.
- UP TO €1,850 BONUS & 500 WAGER FREE SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
New players only on the first 5 deposits. (18+) The minimum deposit is €20. The maximum bonus is up to €1850 & up to 500 Wager Free Spins. Wagering requirements are 36x the bonus amount. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- UP TO €400 WELCOME BONUS & 100 SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
For players on the first deposit. The minimum deposit is €10. This bonus includes a slots bonus of up to €300, sports bonus up to €100, 100 free spins & €20 free bet. The wagering requirement is 35x. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- UP TO €600 WELCOME BONUSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
For new players on the first 3 deposits. (18+) Maximum bet is €5 per spin and maximum bonus is €200 for each deposit. Wagering requirement is 40x the bonus and deposit combined. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- UP TO £500 WELCOME BONUS & 50 SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
New players and for the first 4 deposits made of up to €500. Must be 18 or over and able to make a minimum deposit of €20. The bonus amount must be wagered 35 times. This bonus will be valid and credited into your account for 21 days. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- UP TO €400 & 50 SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
Limited to 1 player per household. A minimum deposit of 20 EUR. The free spins will be available on Aloha! Cluster Pays video slot. This bonus has to be wagered 50x times the deposit plus bonus amount before a withdrawal request can be made. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- Restricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
New depositing players only. 18+, Minimum deposit of £20/$20/€20. Bonuses that require a deposit, must be wagered 35x. The maximum bonus varies per deposit. The welcome package includes 3 deposits in bonuses. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- 300% WELCOME BONUSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
For only new depositing players. 18 or over with a minimum deposit of €10 or greater. Wagering requirements are 48x times the bonus and deposit. Use bonus code: BONUS300. When using this bonus code, winnings upon wagering completion, is limited to €2000. Additional T&C’s applies.Visit CasinoRead Review
- €500 WELCOME BONUS & 100 SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
For only new depositing players. (18+) The minimum deposit is €20. The free spins are only available on the game: Fruit Zen. The deposit bonus has a wagering requirement of 40 times the deposit and bonus amount. The wagering requirements of winning from the free spins bonus is 25x. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review
- UP TO €800 BONUS & 100 SPINSRestricted in United StatesTerms & Conditions
Offer valid on first 4 deposits. Offer only applies to new players 18+. Bonuses that require a deposit must have the bonus wagered 35 times. Winnings won with extra spins that require a deposit, have to be wagered 35 times your extra spins winnings unless stated otherwise. Bets on different games contribute differently to the compliance of the wagering requirements. Full T&C’s apply.Visit CasinoRead Review